Sunday, March 2, 2014

Menu Planning . . . .

Some of you asked how I plan my meals and make them with a newborn. First of all, I LOVE to cook and bake. It is therapy for me, so I actually don't mind making dinner at the end of the day (most of the time...).

I go through my cook books and recipe binder (yes, there is a binder - it is great for recipes from magazines or passed down from friends and family). Then, I pick about 8 meals to make, which is about two weeks for us (I am a huge fan of leftovers). We will fill in those meals with sandwiches and salad (and my husband normally chooses cereal over both of those). We only eat out once a week on average for either a lunch or a dinner.





Once I plan my meals for those two weeks, I go grocery shopping and then put the meals up on my chalkboard in the kitchen. I used to assign meals to each day, but life doesn't work that way anymore. :) I just make a giant list and we pick things, as we crave them. 


Another note - I try to only spend $300 a month on groceries, plus $100 - $150 at Costco every two months. We buy most of our meat and snacks at Costco (chicken, hamburger, granola bars).

No comments: