Saturday, January 25, 2014

All you really need is . . .

Baby registries can be SO overwhelming and the pressure to have everything ready before baby arrives can be quite maddening. In reality, you only need a few things the first three weeks (or longer). Here are a few of my favorite things for the first three weeks.

FOR MOM

If you are breastfeeding . . . 

  • Nursing tanks - I have about 6, so I don't have to wash them all the time. Helpful, as babies do dribble and spit up. I also love leggings and yoga pants right now and of course cardigans for over the nursing tanks
  • Lanolin - save the nipples!
  • Breast pump and set of bottles (check with your insurance, as they will probably pay for it!)
  • 2 nursing bras (I am not large chested even now, so I can get away without one when wearing most nursing tanks)

If you had a vaginal delivery . . . 

  • Tucks witch hazel pads 
  • Light and heavy pads (when you pump and nurse you may bleed more heavily)
  • Dermoplast spray (They give you this at the hospital, but I wanted some upstairs and downstairs - really helps with pain)
  • Larger, comfortable, cotton underwear - it isn't sexy time and you will want to be comfortable that first week especially

FOR BABY

 


SleepSack
Bundle Me
Rock N' Play by Fisher Price
  • More burp cloths  and bibs then you think you will use (seriously - who wants to do laundry every other day for this purpose?!)
 
  • If you have a boy who will be circumcised . . . gauze pads and Vaseline
 
  • Aquaphor for dry skin (love this - it is gentle and really helps with their chapped skin - it is a little greasy though)

  • Diaper change necessities (wipes, diapers, hand sanitizer) ... A&D is our friend for routine diaper changes  - We also loved our diaper caddy from Babies R' Us (we have one for each level and stock it with bibs, burp cloths, wipes, diapers, A&D, lotion, Aquaphor, pacifier, extra outfit, and it came with the changing pad) http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12326945&cp=&parentPage=search
    Sara Bear Diaper Caddy from Babies R' Us
   


  • Swaddle blankets and/or Halo SleepSacks - our baby breaks out of a swaddle, so the sleep sacks are better for us 
 

 
  •  Sleepers with zippers (so much easier in the middle of the night) - The first two weeks we went through two a day and then week three I decided to dress the poor kid in "real clothes."
     


     

 We have it, but . . . 

  • We have a swing, but he still doesn't weight enough for it (he may fly to Mars if we aren't careful) - we could have waited
  • I have a Boppy and the first week I loved it. . . Now, it is kind of a pain. I keep it upstairs for the middle of the night, but never even use it during the day 
  • Playmat - we are starting to use it more in week 3, but the first couple weeks you don't use it much and could always use a blanket
  • Baby monitor . . we didn't need this until week 3 (I do love my video monitor though, now that we are settled enough to use it)
  • His entire room - seriously. I am so glad it is set up, but we don't quite need it yet. 
 I might be forgetting a few things and will edit if I have.. but that's about it for now :)

All I wanted to do my first week was eat, snuggle, and shower at some point!

No comments: