Saturday, January 18, 2014

Welcome to the world Baby B


On Friday, January 10th, 2014 at 9:30 am (on the dot), our little joy arrived. Beckett was a long 21 1/2 inches nada sturdy 7 lbs 13 ozs. He was bigger than Jeff and I (and the doctors) expected. 

Looking back.....

Baby B decided that he was ready to make his appearance beginning Thursday evening. My water broke at home at 7:15. I honestly wasn't sure if it was my water at first, but soon realized this little guy was coming. Jeff and I really wanted a natural childbirth if possible, which meant no epidural. To many this sounds crazy and part of me still thinks it was. :) My midwife (and many books) recommended staying home as long as possible, as it is harder to resist the epidural once you are admitted. So, Jeff and I stayed home until 1:30 am. I was in early labor during this entire time. My sister and her husband came to the house to stay with Bella, our dog, and distract me! 

We arrived at the hospital and they immediately had a room ready for us. They hooked me up to wireless monitoring for the baby's heartbeat and my contractions. My midwife arrived at about 3 am and I was 80% effaced, but only 2 centimeters dilated. This was a concern since my water broke several hours prior. They wanted to put me on pitocin to speed up contractions and dilation. I did not want this, as it intensifies your labor and went against the no drugs mentality I had. After lots of tears and no progress, I ended up getting hooked up to an IV of pitocin. Jeff and I prayed I wanted have to receive a high dose. Our prayers were answered. I went into active labor and by 6 am I was 4 centimeters dilated.

We still had a ways to go. I was in active labor from about 6-8 am. Jeff was an amazing coach! He walked with me, massaged my back, prayed with me, and encouraged me. By 8 am I was in transition, my wonderful nurse, Laura, told me to move to the tub. I wasn't sure about it, but they said it was the most natural form of an epidural. So, I got in. Praise God because transition was hard. Jeff and I had prayed and meditated on several Bible verses for weeks to help me calm myself during labor. I am so glad we did because the focus it took to get through the pain was unbelievable. At one point I didn't feel like I could do it anymore, so Jeff went and got the verses we wrote down and read them. He said I immediately began to calm down and focus. My breathing and movements became paced with the contractions. It was important to not fight the contractions, but to do move and focus with them. By 8:45 I was ready to push, remember I was only 4 centimeters at 8 am, so the nurses didn't think I would be ready. I told everyone he was coming and transition was over. 

At 9 am they got me about of the tub and I was 8 centimeters dilated. I was so ready to push this little man out. I was done. They said to wait and they called my amazing doctor. Now, she was on her way in, but they didn't think I would have him until at least 12 or 1 and it is only 9 am. They moved me and I told them I couldn't wait to push. My doctor walked in at 9:10 and I began pushing at 9:15. Pushing was definitely harder than I thought, since I didn't have the epidural. Poor Jeff got a little lightheaded and had to sit down. By the time Baby B was ready to arrive, Jeff was back on his feet. :) 

At 9:30 am our little man arrived (with his left hand next to his head- stinker and ouch). Jeff was able to cut his umbilical cord and we immediately had skin to skin time. It was surreal! 


Verses that we prayed on and helped get me through labor....

Isaiah 41:10
“So do not fear, for I am with you.  Do not be dismayed for I am your God.  I will strengthen you and help you.  I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.”

Psalm 18:30

As for God, his way is perfect; the word of the Lord is flawless. he is a shield for all who take refuge in him.


Psalm 37:4

New International Version (NIV)

Take delight in the Lord,
    and he will give you the desires of your heart.



Isaiah 40:31

New International Version (NIV)

31 but those who hope in the Lord
    will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
    they will run and not grow weary,
    they will walk and not be faint.












No comments: